From:
Wes Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 22:57:35 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>This unhealthy state of affairs, this obsession with old music, tends
>to make all music listening safe and unadventurous since it deals so
>largely in the words of the accepted masters..."

I agree with Aaron Copland - he also called concert halls "museums".  When
was the last time you heard Neils Viggo Bentzon, Sofia Gubaidulina, Gyorgy
Ligeti or Rodian Shchedrin programmed in the concert hall? (Just examples
- not to slight anyone omitted).  Hey, I love the great masters.  But
looking back on the 20th Century, I'm "discovering" more and more composers
whose music really resonates with me (and lot's that don't).  It's truly an
adventure of discovery.

Wes Thompson/Keller, TX