From:
Eric Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 22:06:48 -0400
Steven Schwartz wrote

>Meyer Kupferman has been around for years writing away...........

Kupferman died a few months ago.

>...  Kupferman is fundamentally a conservative Modernist -- tonal
>(although he has written dodecaphonically), ...

I don't believe him to be fundamentally a tonalist.  His "Infinity series"
which includes many. many of his pieces is based on a tone row and he
often follows his own path down the tone row road.  He did occasionally
write tonal music as well as music utilizing other scales and techniques
but the vast majority of his vast output of music is not tonal.

>...  often with an underlay of Thirties and Forties Big-Band lyricism,
>the kind often associated with the Bobby Hackett charts for Jackie
>Gleason.

Bobby Hackett did not write charts for Jaclkie Gleason, he played trumpet
solos in his inimitable style.

Otherwise it is interesting to read your review of this release, since
I had reviewed many of Kupferman's concerts and recordings during his
later years.  I was the music critic for the Poughkeepsie Journal and
Meyer was a "local" Composer and many of his works were performed by him
and his associates throughout the neighbordhood.

Eric Goldberg