From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 18:24:20 -0400
I don't think the "problem' of the standardized standing ovation is
limited to small orchestras.  I don't know if the original poster was
speaking of an American orchestra, but I bet he was.  I think this is
an American phenomenon.  Perhaps not in New York or L.A., but certainly
in Atlanta, where I live, the standing ovation seems to be de rigueur.
I totally sympathize, as one sort of ends up feeling like a curmudgeon,
or certainly like a grump, by sitting firmly when all about you leap to
their feet and shout bravo.  But if one does that every time, what will
you do when it is truly extraordinary?  Run laps around the concert hall?
High-five your neighbors and throw your cushion?

I wonder how those who play in the orchestras feel about this.  Do they
really appreciate being ovated (?) every time?  Would they like to see
some discernment and control, so that when people leap to their feet (as
I have done on some occasions) it truly means something?

Miguel Muelle
http://mmuelle.home.mindspring.com