From:
Hi-Do Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 22:46:47 -0500
I am sure most of you already know about who won what at the Grammy's last
night.  (No, I don't mean Santana...) And I am sure most of you are saying
who cares about the Grammy's, but I thought the results are out anyway, and
so why not take a look at it, and I did.  I guess the surprise for this
year was that while Pierre Boulez was the clear favorite for most of the
categories (he had the most nominations), the final results were rather
unexpected, with MTT raking in most awards, and Boulez only one.  I was
also nonplussed by the fact that MTT won with a Stravinsky album, not
something I would have expected from reading Janos G's concert reports
from the Bay area.

So anyway here are the results, just in case you missed them:

Category 84 - Classical Engineered Album
Stravinsky: Firebird; The Rite Of Spring; Pers?hone
Markus Heiland, engineer (Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor)
 [RCA Victor Red Seal]

Category 85 - Classical Producer Of The Year
Adam Abeshouse

Chopin: Etudes - The Complete Piano Works, Vol. Ten (Opp. 10, 42; Op.
Posth.) (Garrick Ohlsson, piano)
Handel/Schoenberg/Spohr/Elgar: Works For String Quartet And Orch. (The Lark
Quartet; Jean-Louis LeRoux, conductor)
Handel: With Valour Abounding (Selections From Solomon; Joseph And His
Brethren; Joshua, Etc.) (John Elwes, tenor)
Hindemith: Quartet For Clarinet, Violin, Cello And Piano/Shostakovich:
Piano Quintet In G Min., Op. 57 (Gilbert Kalish, piano; Boston Sym. Cham.
Player

Category 86 - Classical Album
Stravinsky: Firebird; The Rite Of Spring; Pers?hone
Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor; Andreas Neubronner, producer (Vance
George, choir director; Joyce Keil, choir director; Stuart Neill, tenor;
Sharon J. Paul, choir director; Ragazzi, The Peninsula Boys Cho.; San
Francisco Sym. Cho.; San Francisco Girls Cho.; Stephanie Cosserat,
narrator; San Francisco Sym.)
 [RCA Victor Red Seal]

Category 87 - Orchestral Performance
Stravinsky: Firebird; The Rite Of Spring; Pers?hone
Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor (Joyce Keil, choir director; Stuart Neill,
tenor; Sharon J. Paul, choir director; Ragazzi, The Peninsula Boys Cho.;
San Francisco Sym. Cho.; San Francisco Girls Cho.; Stephanie Cosserat,
narrator; San Francisco Sym.)
 [RCA Victor Red Seal]

Category 88 - Opera Recording
Stravinsky: The Rake's Progress
John Eliot Gardiner, conductor; Ian Bostridge; Bryn Terfel; Anne Sofie von
Otter; Deborah York; Nicholas Parker, producer (Monteverdi Cho.; London
Sym. Orch.)
 [Deutsche Grammophon]

Category 89 - Choral Performance
Britten: War Requiem
Robert Shafer, conductor; Joan McFarland, choir director; Betty Scott,
choir director (Richard Clement, tenor; Christine Goerke, soprano; Richard
Stilwell, baritone; Maryland Boy Cho.; Shenandoah Conservatory Cho.; The
Washington Cho.; The Washington Orch.)
 [The Washington Chorus]

Category 90 - Instrumental Soloist w/Orch
Prokofiev: Piano Cons. Nos. 1 & 3/Bart?: Piano Con. No. 3
Martha Argerich, piano; Charles Dutoit, conductor (Orch. Sym. de Montr?l)
 [EMI Classics]

Category 91 - Instrumental Soloist w/o Orch
Shostakovich: 24 Preludes & Fugues, Op. 87
Vladimir Ashkenazy, piano
 [Decca]

Category 92 - Chamber Music Performance
Beethoven: The Violin Sonatas (Nos. 1-3, Op. 12; Nos. 1-3, Op. 30; Spring
Sonata, Etc.)
Anne-Sophie Mutter, violin; Lambert Orkis, piano
 [Deutsche Grammophon]

Category 93 - Small Ensemble Performance
Colors Of Love (Works Of Thomas, Stucky, Tavener, Rands, Etc.)
Chanticleer; Joseph Jennings, conductor
 [Teldec Classics International]

Category 94 - Classical Vocal Performance
Mahler: Des Knaben Wunderhorn
Thomas Quasthoff, baritone; Anne Sofie von Otter, mezzo soprano (Claudio
Abbado, conductor; Berliner Phil.)
 [Deutsche Grammophon]

Category 95 - Classical Contemporary Composition
Boulez: R?ons
Pierre Boulez, composer (Vincent Bauer, vibraphone; Florent Boffard, piano;
Pierre Boulez, conductor; Fr??ique Cambreling, harp; Michel Cerutti,
cimbalom; Daniel Ciampolini, xylophone & glockenspiel; Ens.
InterContemporain; Andrew Gerzso, electro-acoustic realization; Dimitri
Vassilakis, piano)
Track from: Boulez: R?ons (R?ons; Dialogue de l'ombre double)
 [Deutsche Grammophon]

Category 96 - Classical Crossover
Schickele: Hornsmoke (Piano Con. No. 2 In F Maj. Ole; Brass Calendar;
Hornsmoke - A Horse Opera)
The Chestnut Brass Co.; Peter Schickele, piano & narrator (Cynthia Carr,
horn)
 [Newport Classic]

Hi-Do Shin
Seoul, Korea