From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 23:39:13 -0500
Renato Vinicius wrote:

>2 - The CD with Beethoven's Var. Diabelli, Audiophile
>   It has written on the right top "Contain SBM gold disc". Does that
>really mean something relevant or just nothing, as I suppose? The text
>on the cover said Diabelli made a sword of competition for variations
>on the theme of his waltz. Is that truth? I never heard that? Did LvB win?
>Who else composed?

Not Diabelli, but a publisher, I believe, established the competition,
entered by about 50 composers, including Schubert and Liszt, all but
Beethoven submitting one variation each, some of which can be found on
CD's containing a representative selection.  Beethoven alone submitted
33 variations.  I don't know whether a prize was offered.

Walter Meyer