From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:16:43 -0400
Dave Lampson wrote:

>For instance, they have a recording on Schwann of the two symphonies
>by the philosopher-pianist Eduard Erdmann (1896-1958).  Has anyone heard
>this?  And then there's Heinz Tiessen's (1887-1971) second symphony with
>some other orchestral works.  I could go on and on...

I reviewed the Erdmann in ARG a while back.  I liked them quite a bit.
They're right in that post Mahler mode.  Tiessen was Erdmann's teacher,
I think. I didn't review that one, but like it almost as much as the
Erdmann.

>Any recommendations, especially for instrumental music from the
>renaissance through conservative 20th century, would be very welcome.

I could go on for hours and don't know where to start.  It would be
easier to go from a starting point of interest, though I suspect you're
trying to stimulate conversation???

Roger Hecht