From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:51:48 +0000
   Frederic Chopin(1810-1849)
     Barcarolle in F sharp

Krystian Zimerman
Deutsche Grammophon 423090
Recorded 1987

Although I had an extensive number of performances of Chopin's Barcarolle
that I recently reviewed, I knew that I had the Zimerman somewhere in
the house.  I finally found it in the most unlikely of spots - inside
my piano bench where I never knowingly put anything.

As it happens, Zimerman's version does not supplant or equal the exceptional
and best versions I cited in my initial review.  He's not particularly
distinctive or intense, and he's certainly not rugged in the manner of
Favre-Kahn.  However, Zimerman does offer a lovingly shaped performance
which is very pleasing, and his last three minutes have plenty of steam.
Do watch out for the flourishing trill he comes up with at 53 seconds
into the piece; it's ever so cute, and I hate it.  That's about as
distinctive as Zimerman gets, and the recorded sound isn't superb either.
Crisp it isn't, but the late 80's was not a golden era for piano on disc.

Don's Conclusions: There are too many superior versions of the Barcarolle
to get excited about the Zimerman performance.  My comments do not apply
in any way to the Four Ballades and the Fantaisie in F minor which
accompany Zimerman's Barcarolle.  I'll be reviewing those interpretations
at future dates, so this is it for the Late Edition.

Don Satz