From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:29:26 +0200
This an English translation of the German text (by me!) of an interview
with Thomas Quasthoff, published in the May edition of Fono Forum, the
leading German magazine for classical music.

   Q:  Mr Quasthoff, your fame rests more or less on your being a
   Liedsaenger.  Well, these days you here ever and again that Liedsaenger
   are having a tough time today because every year less and less people
   are coming to the Liederabende...

   A:  I don't think that's true.  I never sing in front of empty rows
   so often.  Many some problems stem from the subscription system.  I
   think it is important how you make music.  I try to be very honest
   and very true, to create the music anew together with the pianist on
   every evening.  It will never be like in the rehearsal.  And I think
   the people notice that.

   Q:  Your colleague Juliane Banse once said:  "Thomas Quasthoff shifts
   the focus to the music." Maybe a banal statement to make but maybe,
   if you think it over, very profound and true.

   A:  I have just read the last reviews about Jessye Norman in the
   Financial Times - then you know exactly what Juliane Banse means.
   The important thing is not the music, you know, but the cult star
   Jessye Norman who is so generous to make music for us (and, if you
   believe the critics, she does it relatively miserable).  Well, of
   course this is polemic and very subjective but I really think that
   with such artists their cult prestige is more important to them than
   the music.  And I regret this.  In the end it's always the music
   which is the most important thing and not we.  We are just interpreters
   and we have the great honour and pleasure to be allowed to sing
   fantastic music.

   Q:  Your new CD contains Schubert's "Schwanengesang" and Brahms'
   "Vier ernste Gesaenge".  Why this compilation?

   A:  I love both cycles very much (with the "Schwanengesang not being
   a real cycle).  I have been accompanied by the "Vier ernste Gesaenge"
   my whole career through and I think that the lyrics are extremely
   important for our times.  The music is (and you can hear it easily
   despite my singing) simply incredible.  Well, I really think that
   the "Vier ernste Gesaenge" belong to the greatest stuff ever composed
   in the Lied genre.

   Q:  Do you feel inclined especially to late and ripe works?

   A:  Not more or less than to early works like, for example, "Musensohn"
   or "Forelle".  I like to sing them because I can use my personality
   well for these songs.  That's why I am very glad that the Deutsche
   Grammophon said yes to my plan and made this recording with me.

   Q:  When you began your career it wasn't always so easy for you to
   get what you wanted.  It is known that you couldn't study because
   your can't play the piano, due to your handicap.  Surely you look
   at these drawbacks somewhat relaxed nowadays.

   A:  Yes, it is twenty years by now.  This was a decision that was
   correct when you look at like a lawyer but from the moral viewpoint
   it is still regrettable.  But in the end the private lessons with
   Charlotte Lehmann and her husband Ernst Huber-Contwig have been
   the right way.  It is ironic that I am now a professor at the
   Musikhochschule Detmold without ever having been a student.  And
   I am very proud and happy to be able to teach in Detmold.

   Q:  Have you been influenced by being forced to overcome such
   impediments?

   A:  I don't like that reducing my biography to impediments.  Every
   kind of experience is important in life, be it the first love or the
   first parting, the first Indian dish or the first Thai meal - all
   experiences which form a personality in the course of a lifetime.
   It's interesting that all people, regarding me, talk about impediments.
   I experienced so many most happy things in my life, far far away from
   having been impediments.  I still remember being intimate with my
   first girl friend for the first time, that was an experience I will
   never forget.  And that shaped me a lot, you know.  I mean, especially
   in romantic music where you have to sing a lot about love:  who never
   experienced love will always have problems to be artistically truthful
   about love.  That's totally clear.  I have never lived the life of
   a handicapped person.  Well, I don't ride a bike or these ... shoes
   with wheels, you know...

   Q:  Inline-Skates?

   A:  Yes, exactly.  Strange new word.  I just want to say that all
   experiences shape my music, not only the handicapped-person-stuff.

   Q:  Okay, back to music.  In the last years the American audience
   and critics praised you a lot.  Is there a difference to the reactions
   towards you in Germany and Europe?

   A:  Yes.  In Germany people are very envious at the beginning.  The
   journalists are the worst.  As an artist you get used to having a
   harder job in your own country.  But this is very very deutsch.  The
   Americans have an incredible respect towards artistic achievements
   and work, want to be amazed.  If you can do this you have the best
   audience in the world.  Except from Russia.

   Q:  Why Russia?

   A:  In Russia understanding of music is mixed with Russian melancholy.
   Und together with romantische music this is an almost ideal symbiosis.
   For a lot of people I met there a concert is like a service.  They
   have such a low standard of living that music is sheer luxury for
   them.  You can notice this in the concerts:  no coughing, no brousing
   through booklets.  This is nothing I'd like to experience here again,
   too.  Not that the standard of living should be lower but that the
   people learn anew how to listen to music.

   Q:  We can hear you on CD and in concerts singing opera arias.  Will
   there be opera productions with Thomas Quasthoff?

   A:  2003 I will sing in my first opera, in Salzburg.  The Minister
   in "Fidelio", one year later the Amfortas in "Parsifal" at the Wiener
   Staatsoper.

   Q:  Has there been resentments against you being on an opera stage?
   Were directors against you?

   A:  No, it was all my decision.  I didn't want to.  People want me
   to do operas for a long time now but I first wanted to become an
   established oratoria and concert singer before making it to the opera.
   Well, I think now is the time and Simon Rattle was the one who said:
   "You have to do it.  And I want you to do it because I want to do it
   together with you." And because Simon is not only in things regarding
   music a person I trust infinitely I said yes.  I agreed to the role
   of Amfortas because it is a very kantable role, not loud, not so much
   Wagner like they normally sing it.  I'm really looking forward to it.

   Q:  You probably will, as a Liedersaenger, give opera something
   unusual.