From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:45:22 +1100
Kimberly Martin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm 19 and in college, majoring in music education.  I've already found
>myself creating a massive gulf between "real" music (an expression one of
>my professors unwisely used) and popular music.  Recently, the gulf between
>heavy metal and symphony music has been brought together through Metallica
>and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra.  I'm curious as to what other
>music-appreciative people feel about this blend.  I feel it's something
>that should have been done long ago, and has it's own place in society.
>However some of my professors think it is a mockery of the orchestra.
>Also, does anyone know of any other blends of this sort?

I rather like the combination (the late Romantic symphony orchestra was
often the heavy metal band of its day; & i never met a serious headbanger
who didn't recognise Karl Orff as a kindred mosher); but you have to realise
that Johnny Rotten was a major intellectual influence where i was brought
up....

I think most of the more historically aware HM bands have at least flirted
with the symphonic sound; but no doubt our resident rock guitarist Derek
B will confirm or deny this.  One of the best known - & perhaps the most
enjoyable - collaborations teamed Jon Lord with the symphonist & conductor
Malcolm - now Sir Malcolm - Arnold for a series of concerts & at least one
recording of works.  I think it was with the RPO; but refuse the guarantee
the statement.

Arnold has always claimed he enjoyed the experience (& cooperated fully
when the MA Society recently did a long piece on the teamup); & hearing his
conducting of the concerto for rock band & orchestra, it sure sounds like
it....

All the best,
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>