From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:08:29 +1000
Don Satz:

>By the way, I don't have any Joplin recordings.  Any recommendations in
>addition to Ron's [Chaplin]? How about Rifkin on Nonesuch?

I haven't heard the Laserlight set Ron mentioned.  The Rifkin recordings
on Nonesuch appeared in, I think, the early 70s.  I've never been all that
keen on them.  Rifkin plays them poker-faced and I like them to swing.  I
don't doubt that he's quite genuine in his approach but it's a bit like
listening to Kiri Te Kanawa or Thomas Hampson singing Broadway stuff - I
wish they'd stick to what they're best at.  But I never got very excited
about Miles Davis's Sketches of Spain either, so maybe I'm biased.  Better
read someone else's opinion, Don.

Steve Schwartz mentioned some time ago and it's worth mentioning again -
Rifkin's Baroque Beatles Book was glorious and I'd love a CD to replace
my battered LP.  Anyone with some leverage at Nonesuch?

Richard Pennycuick