From:
Carl Shubbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:24:05 GMT
"Still out of lurkdom?" I've heard of "beyond Mambassa," anywhere close
geographically?:-)

I cannot supply you with any biographical material other than to write
that Stevens was the Chair of Composition at University of Southern
California.

Unhappily for him (in my recollection), he was a composer who never found
his "voice." There is little "aesthetic" unity or continuity in his work
(as there is in Bartok).

In fact, his "Ballade of William Sycamore" was so roundly criticized by
the local critics as well as several members of the USC Music Department
(behind his back), that he seemed often defensive.

The work he appeared most proud of is <Treskelion/Treskalion (sp.)> a
symphony.

He wrote (at least through the time I was a composition student at USC)
in a comparatively simple --- diatonic --- style.  Music immediately
apprehendible and likeable (or unlikeable if one subscribed to the
fashions of the day: polytonalities, post-Schoenberg serialism, Musique
Concrete --- what ever happened to *that* school of thought?  ---,
post-Webern theory --- we *know* what became of those fellows).

Have you tried contacting the Music Department at USC?  They *might* be
of some help (if they're in the mood).

Good Luck

Carl Shubbe