From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 14:02:54 -0500
Don Satz on government support for the arts:

>...  Frankly, it's no big deal to me since I don't tend to be a
>concert-goer, listen very little to radio, and pay very little for public
>musical subsidies; Many of you, however, get great enjoyment from radio and
>concerts and naturally want to keep what you have and even expand on it.
>So, I'm with you; loyalty carries the day.  And I expect your support if
>any source tries to mess around with the world of classical recordings.

You can hardly separate out the world of classical recordings from
the world of concerts, at least as far as orchestras and opera companies
are concerned.  I suspect that American orchestras get by largely but not
exclusively on private philanthropy, but European orchestras and opera
houses are largely subsidized by governments.  The way things are organized
at present, recordings are usually made by existing concert giving
organizations.  So if Don is listening to recordings from abroad he
is almost certainly benefitting from government subsidies.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University