From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 21:33:07 +0100
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>I'd be interested to know how many listers knew any works by Louise Talma,
>Rebecca Clarke, or Laura Clayton.  And, no, I'm not taking a survey.

Indeed I only now Rebecca Clarke, for her chamber music.  But I also know
Ustvolskaya, Gubaidulina and Smirnova whose work IMO is right up there with
the very best composers of any time.  Could you elaborate a bit on Talma
(sounds like a Dutch - or, rather, Frisian name) & Clayton? Do they achieve
the same level? Of course in this - I mean the last - century there have
come increasingly more women to the fore.

Philip