From:
"Yoel L. Arbeitman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:45:54 -0400
Richard Claeys wrote:

>Michael Tilson Thomas taking over from an indisposed William Steinberg
>in the midst of a Boston Symphony concert at New York's Philharmonic
>Hall in October, 1969--one month after being named BSO Assistant Conductor.
>Although passed over in favor of Ozawa when Steinberg stepped down,
>Thomas went on to success in London and, now, San Francisco.

Somehow MTT's Buffalo years have been left out.  In the early 1970s
(I don't know for how long as I only lived there a year and a half) MTT
was both conductor of the Buffalo Symphony and the idol and icon of the
university music community.  Many persons wore MTT large buttons on their
coats.  I mean this was public love and adoration, but then again there
was so little in Buffalo except snow without end.

Yoel