From:
Everitt Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 05:40:50 -0400
Deryk Barker wrote:

>The score does not specify how long the performance is to last, that is
>determined by chance methods IIRC.  The first ever performance lasted 4:33
>and the duration has stuck.

That's a good point; the duration has stuck *as a title*, but a
performance of 4'33" does not need to last exactly four minutes and thirty
three seconds, surprisingly enough.  Chance is one way to decide the length
of a performance, but any similarly arbitrary method will do.  A music
professor of mine told me a story that illustrates this nicely.

At one point in a course on 20th century music the professor arranged for
all the students in his class to perform Cage's magnum opus.  A lot of the
students delivered run-of-the-mill interpretations, ending promptly on the
4'33" mark.  However, one world-class wiseacre sat down at the piano bench
and waited in absolute silence for over an hour before he finally declared
that his presentation of 4'33" had ended.

In a similar vein, there have been "arrangements" of 4'33" for everything
from small chamber ensembles to full-sized choirs (with soloists!).  I
imagine they usually do something witty like raising their bows or opening
their mouths as the piece is about to start, then relaxing as soon as the
conductor gives the first downbeat.  At least, that's what I would do,
being somewhat of an inscrutable wag myself.

--everitt clark
(NOT [log in to unmask])