From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 16:45:58 -0700
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>During WWII Oberstein had labels called Hit, Elite, Classic and Varsity,
>selling recordings made in Mexico and new releases made as soon as he
>could sign with the musicians' union, on strike against the other labels
>in 1942-3.  (During that strike he did pretty much as he pleased, and
>was one of the few people who ever got the best of James Petrillo, leader
>of the musicians' union.  Petrillo was furious with Oberstein, who said
>that making records in Mexico "may be bootlegging, but it's legal.")

Thanks for sharing that info on Oberstein.  I would also like to add
that the Mexican connection resulted in one of the more collectable
Stravinsky recordings, the Divertimento from the Fairy's Kiss as recorded
in Mexico.  Now on CD, the original discs used to bring several hundred
dollars when sold at auction.

Karl