From:
Terje Rydland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 08:57:17 +0100
I cannot tell you much about his Chandos period, but I can point you to a
complete recording of all 11 anthems.  They were recorded by The Sixteen
Choir & Orchestra conducted by Harry Christophers, appropriately on Chandos
(CHAN 0503, 0504, 0505 and 0509).

The Duke of Chandos was one James Brydges, Earl of Carnarvon, who was
created Duke of Chandos in 1719.  He was then a very rich man after being
the Paymaster for the English forces in Europe from 1702 to 1714.  He
bought a house, Cannons, in a village called Edgware and spent a lot of
money on this.  Brydges maintained his own musical establishment and held
the "Cannons concerts" which were led by the German composer Johann
Pepusch.

Handel was employed by the Duke of Chandos (or "loosely engaged as a
more-or-less composer in residence" as the liner notes says) from early
August 1717 until sometimes late in 1718 (actually before Brydges became
the Duke of Chandos).  He wrote "Acis and Galathea", "Esther", a "Te Deum"
and the 11 Chandos Anthems during this period.

Terje Rydland