From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 21:52:41 -0000
Sheldon L. Tarakan wrote:

>Can anyone in this forum recommend a recording of Balakirev's Symphonies
>in C and d?  I used to have a recording, but it is gone for many years.
>Any assistance would be most welcome.

 From my own collection:

Hyperion dyad CDD22030 (1998) 2CD set DDD
Both symphonies coupled with Russia, Overture on three Russian
Themes and Tamara
Svetlanov conducting the Philharmonia in 1991

Naxos 8.550792 (1994)
Symphony No. 1, Islamey (Liapunov's orchestration) and Tamara
Igor Golovschin and the Russian State Symphony in 1993

Naxos 8.550793 (1994)
Symphony No. 2 and Russia
Igor Golovschin and the Russian State Symphony in 1993

EMI Classics 5 66595 2 (1998)
Symphony No. 1 coupled with Roussel's Symphony No. 4
von Karajan and the Philharmonis in 1951

All are good performances and I play different versions for different
moods. I find the Naxos recordings solid, the Hyperion purposeful but
for sheer bloody exuberance I love the Karajan interpretation -- and
the Roussel provides an interesting counterpoint to the Balakirev.

Good hunting
Tim Mahon