From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 05:36:03 -0700
Daniel Beland wrote, on Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 13:17:

>After a dispute with the orchestra's musicians, Charles Dutoit has
>finally resigned as music director of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra.
>Dutoit became music director in 1977...
>
>http://www.andante.com/magazine/article.cfm?id=16631
>
>From my perspective, this is good news!  After almost 25 years of
>collaboration between Dutoit and the MSO, it was perhaps time for a
>change...  But finding someone to replace Dutoit could prove difficult.

Here are two stories that indicate most of the musicians did not want this
and that this move will harm the orchestra tremendously for various
reasons.

By the way, in the 2nd article, what is so awful about testing whether
orchestra members were actually following him instead of playing by rote,
during rehearsals???

 http://www.canada.com/search/site/story.asp?id=744FAB37-CD4F-47D8-93DF-B6B452A3EEAD
 http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/story.asp?id=%7B496DBC2E-BC8B-4368-9847-2B558545FA9B%7D

Andrys