From:
Gustav Styger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:12:46 +200
Hello all!  I've just visited an open-air amphitheatre at a local
wine farm where an interesting production was staged.  The theme of the
production is Mozart and Salieri and the first half of the program was the
one act play by Alexander Pushkin.  The second part was the one act opera
by Rimsky-Korsakov, sung in Russian.  I assume Rimsky- Korsakov used the
Pushkin play, as is for the libretto, because the action of both are almost
identical.

The opera is for chamber orchestra and tenor and baritone and consists
of two operatic scenes in recitative-arioso style.  The music is (to my
ears) a strange mix of Russian romanticism and a deliberate attempt at a
pseudo-classical style.  I don't mean this negatively and enjoyed both the
play and the opera.

Does anyone know if this opera has been recorded on CD? Anybody familiar
with this work?  Cheers

Gustav Styger
Stellenbosch, South Africa