From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:40:22 -0700
Daniel Paul Horn ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>There have been a few recordings of Liszt on period instruments, the
>details of which escape me, in addition to a recent boomlet in Chopin on
>19th-century pianos.

Including a CD on Hungaroton of Jeno Jando playing on some of Liszt's own
pianos, including a Chickering.  Not a bad disc at all.  I only picked this
up a couple of weeks ago and already I can't find it to give you the
catalogue no...

>(Emanuel Ax is only the best-known pianist to explore Chopin this way
>on disc.) Period Liszt isn't really such a silly notion; I've practiced
>some Liszt (the Fantasy on "A Midsummer Night's Dream") on an 1850's
>Erard grand, and been greatly struck by how truly orchestral those
>old instruments could be -- even more so than our current grands.

Victoria pianist Bruce Vogt gave a recital Liszt 5 or 6 years back on a
restored Erard, from the 1860s or 70s I think.  Wonderful.  You should have
heard the Weinen, Klagen....

Deryk Barker