From:
Henny van der Groep <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:10:21 +0200
Santu da Silva wrote:

>I would like a cellist, if he/she can afford it, to have two instruments,
>and learn to play both: one modern, one baroque.  This strict split into
>specialized camps is neither necessary nor desirable.  The word "purity"
>does not belong in music.  Well, perhaps it does, but it has acquired ugly
>connotations.

As Patrik said Pieter Wispelway is a fine choice.  I'll admire his skill.
But for a real "Baroque vision" I would prefer Anner Bijlsma.  His last
recording of the Suites of Bach are very beautiful.  Pieter doesn't have
that affinity with Bach as Anner.  His phrasing is rather short, I'll miss
the long lines and depth.  Although I admire him for playing all different
styles!

Henny van der Groep
e-mail: [log in to unmask]