From:
Todd Michel McComb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:18:49 -0800
Laurence Glavin writes:

>The classical music recording industry, at least as far as
>publicly-traded conglomrerates are concerned, has tunnel-vision
>in this regard....

The so-called majors have made themselves completely irrelevant, aside
from their back catalogs.  They don't release anything worth hearing,
and they don't try.  In my neck of the business, performers are simply
waiting for their contracts to expire so that they can go to smaller
labels and be heard again.  Upfront money from "majors" is nice, but
when they won't market your work, it's no fun (to say the least).

It's better this way anyway.  The conglomerates can have their little
world, and the rest of us can more easily enjoy music elsewhere.

To return to the original topic, if I wasn't clear in my earlier response,
I can't imagine the conglomerates asking my opinion (nor would I be
inclined to give it), but many other labels are interested and responsive.

(Actually, that isn't quite true -- someone in one of the conglomerates
tried to get my thoughts on music in a fairly specialized area, and I
gave him a flat thumbs-down on his companies "efforts." He eventually
stopped asking, which was my preference, i.e.  not to waste my time even
listening to the stuff.)

Todd McComb