From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:05:19 +1000
Mikulska <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Bernard, thank you for posting more evidence supporting my claim that
>it's the youngest composers who are the most conservative.

Actually, it was eloquent proof of the contrary - while highly conventional
musical artists like Boulez & Oliveros are still playing with sound toys
of similar vintage to Disney's Highways of Tomorrow, a new generation has
grown up which is rolling up its sleeves & getting the job done with the
broadest band of approaches available.  If they means using process
effects, great.  If that means diatonic melodies, also great.  No doubt
someone out there is working on a piece for banks of chinese percussion
with alphorn quartet - the combo sounds weird enough; but i'd like to hear
the results & make my mind then.

What has changed while your back was turned is the old conventional dogma
that stated that certain modes of espression - inevitably the modes which
happened to indulge the personal taste of the people doing the advocacy, of
course - are the only ones appropriate for serious contemplation has been
yanked from the agenda; & in the words of a popular aesthetician - that's
not a bad thing...  that's a good thing.  As with Cage a generation before,
the bland straight-jackets within which conventional artists like Oliveros
choose to work has stifled her creativity to the point that artistic
perversity is her only refuge; & you can only patronise the paying
customer so many times before they choose to stop paying.

Live in peace
endeavour2 project <http://www.geocities.com/robtclements/endeavour2.html>