From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:44:23 +0000
Norman Schwartz writes concerning the movie "Amadeus":

>One should keep in mind that these are *entertainments* and not
>productions meant for the History Channel.

I think Norman's perception is right on target.  I loved the movie
when it was first released and have enjoyed it upon subsequent watchings.
The acting and direction are exceptional.  As for accuracy, the sole area
I didn't care for was the use of modern instruments.  The main thing is
that it's a movie.  If you want reality, leave the theatre and hit the
streets or a reference book.  Movies are magic!

If I remember right, I also saw a movie titled "Beethoven Beloved" or some
other equally lame title.  That movie was also lame and a loser compared
to Amadeus.  The only other movie I've seen in the past twenty or so years
which is right down there with "Beethoven" was the ridiculously sentimental
"Fields of Dreams".  Flicks such as "Pulp Fiction" are much more into my
comfort zone.

Don Satz