From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:13:50 -0800
Tony Duggan ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
 [..Regarding Harold Moore's Records..]

>I remember once finding a CD of the Georg Szell Mahler 9th at the end of
>one shelf and when I remarked at the counter (counter not checkout) that
>I had been looking for it for some time was told that it had been on the
>shelf since 1988.  You have the impression fromn the people who work there
>that every disc in the place is an old friend.  There are not many shops
>like it left.
>
>They have second hand LPs in the basement too.

I'm afraid my experience has been rather less positive - although I've
only visited the store half a doxzen or so times.

Their LPs downstairs are *very* expensive and I've often found things there
that I simply cannot justify buying at their prices (75 pounds for the
Barbirolli Sibelius cycle - and this in 1992 IIRC).

Also, some of their staff can be incredibly snotty and condescending - I
have nearly walked out on occasion, I've been so offended by something an
assistant has said.

OTOH they do have some things which don't seem to be anywhere else, so
I guess I'll continue visiting....

Deryk Barker