From:
Steve Rossiter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 22:40:04 -0700
Hello, Over the years I have wanted to become a more serious listener
of classical music and after watching "The Art of Piano" last might on
PBS I now think I know where to start.  All of the pianists were great
but the one that seemed most interesting to me for starters was Alfred
Cortot.

Can anybody recommend a cd release (or vinyl record but that will take
a little longer to get a hold of) that was a particularly good transfer
of a particularly good piece.  I have heard the following is a quality
performance and transfer.

SCHUMANN: Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op.  54.  (recorded October 12/13,
1934).  CHOPIN: Piano Concerto No.  2 in F Minor, Op.  21 (recorded July
8, 1935) Alfred Cortot, pianist; London Philharmonic Orch/Landon Ronald
(Schumann); Orch/John Barbirolli (Chopin) NAXOS 8.110612 (B) (ADD) TT:
60:58

Thank you for this help, Steve.