From:
Martin Pitchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:15:27 -0400
Hi, My name is Martin and...  I have decided not to participate so much in
the list because I prefer contemporary music.

I'm just a Prokofiev's fan...  He is absolutely TERRIFIC.  His symphonies,
his ballets, his operas, his concertos, his sonatas...  I have 90% of his
works and I think that he had an inexhaustibly imagination and a power
and...humor.  About Rachmaninov, well, He was a very late romantic,
melancholic and he kept more or less the same style all the time.
Prokofiev was changing...  "enfant terrible" a bit diabolic (The fiery
angel)...

Their things in common are so little...  Both were called Sergei and both
played piano.

I could speak about Prokofiev a lifetime, a bit less about Rachmaninov...We
are not speaking about the same kind of composer.  Think about the
Prokofiev's first period (before trying to adapt to a more popular style):
The gambler, the fiery angel, Love for 3 oranges and three chaotic
symphonies...  Great!  Great!  Better (for me) than his later works more
measured, more "popular"...because of the pressures

Regards,

Martin Pitchon