From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:11:00 PST
I don't possess any hard standards concerning repeats; I'm more concerned
with the overall quality of the performances.  For example, Peter Serkin's
Goldberg Variations on RCA dispenses with most of the repeats.  Although I
would prefer otherwise, I still love his recording.  A superb performance
without repeats beats a competent performance which observes all repeats,
although I understand that some listeners could not consider a performance
not observing the repeats to be superb or even acceptable.

Jocelyn's position that repeats should be observed in all cases because
that's the wish of the composer is certainly valid.  Fortunately, in the
mainstream repertoire, we can find recordings all over the "repeat'
spectrum.

Don Satz