From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:27:29 -0600
Walter Meyer asks:

>To keep this post musical, now that Roman Catholic prayers are now
>recited in the vernacular rather than in Latin, have there been Roman
>Catholic masses in the classical tradition (whatever that means) composed
>to texts in the local languages, aside from the Misa Criolla?  I asume
>that Janacek's *Glagolitic Mass* to a Slavonic text was not intended for
>Roman Catholic services.

What comes to mind immediately is the tradition of the Czech folk mass, with
Latin and the vernacular alternating, the latter commenting on the former.

Deryk Barker clears up my confusion raised by Stephen Bacher on the plural
of ignoramus:

>The plural (and the COD specifies this) is, of course, ignoramuses.

Well, on behalf of all jackae everywhere, I thank you.

Steve Schwartz