From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:32:35 +1000
Robert Clements mentioned the Rex Foundation as a sponsor for recording.
I recall some years ago seeing a documentary about it.  In particular,
there were several young English composers who had been astonished to open
the mail one day and find a very substantial cheque from the foundation, no
strings attached, to allow them to compose without having to earn a crust
in other ways.  There was also a story of one of the band members hearing
a Brian symphony on his car radio and deciding that sponsorship of further
Brian recordings was essential.  The fine print on CD covers reveals the
foundation has provided money for all sorts of music.  Nearly anyone else
would have insisted on top billing on the cover - this is philanthropy with
style.

I know nothing of the Grateful Dead's music but I thought this was a
wonderful use for their extra cash.  I wondered if the foundation is still
functioning.

Richard Pennycuick