From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:16:40 -0500
Donald Clarke:

>In the early 1950s my dad bought me my first classical records, a box
>of 45 singles comprising Horowitz's recording of Schumann's Kinderscenen.
>(Does anybody know where I can get a CD transfer of that?)

Horowitz recorded this again later.  Deutsche Grammophon released a
recording of Kinderszenen that Horowitz recorded at the Musikverein,
Vienna in 1990, under the title Horowitz the Poet.  Also on the disc is
Schubert's Piano Sonata in Bb.  (op.  posthumous).  It is available
direct from Amazon but at an outrageous price ($45!) for some reason I
do not understand, or from one of their associated vendors for as little
as $3.96.  I think there are other releases with Horowitz playing
Kinderszenen also.

By the way, I just ordered five days ago an item though one of the
associated vendors of Amazon.fr a disc of music by Tristan Murail and
it arrived today!  It was reviewed in the Sunday New York Times this
past week, by a reviewer who said it would need to be ordered from France.

Jim Tobin