From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:12:45 -0500
Not long ago, I purchased this CD after reading Donald's review.  It is
one of the best purchases I have made recently.  I have been listening
to a lot of Bach on the piano lately, and this was a bit of a lark (not
that I dislike harpsichord -- I actually like it very much, but since I
began piano lessons...  but I digress:o)...

I love David Cates' playing on this CD.  The tempi that differ from the
piano versions I have heard struck me as very appropriate (but what do
I know...) and I agree that the sound of this instrument was beautiful.
I especially liked the Allemande of the 6th suite.  Schiff and Gould
take this quite quickly, and it sounds light and happy.  Cates' slower
version sounds so loving and sadly plaintive...

I hope Steve does give it a few more chances, as this is beautiful
music-making.  US $.02, please.

<><
Miguel Muelle
http://mmuelle.home.mindspring.com