From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:34:23 -0500
Mitch Friedfeld:

>"Mr. Hetherwick reports to Michael Smellie, the chief operating
>officer of Sony BMG Music Entertainment, and both men repudiated
>the notion, standard at classical labels since the mid-80's,
>that pop-classical crossover projects were necessary to keep
>a classics line afloat...."

>From the full article, it is apparent that there will be more remastering
of fine old recordings.  Not so clear is whether there will be many new
classical recordings.

Does anyone have any evidence one way or another as to whether crossover
has "worked" to bring new listeners to non-crossover classical music?
Personally I welcome Gelb's departure from SONY.  May we hope that there
will be less crossover cluttering the BMG Classical Music Service
announcements?  About a decade ago there was a woman in charge of that
who did an outstanding job of finding interesting new releases.  I don't
recall her name but does anyone know what became of her?

Jim Tobin