From:
Daryl Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 08:32:55 -0800
I was mistaken in what I said about Prokofiev the other day.  After a
little more research, I see that he went back and forth in the eyes of the
Soviet Leadership.  In fact, in Feb.  1948, Prokofiev found him on a list
denouncing "Formalist Composers." There was a trial that he did not attend.
After this, the regime took his first wife to Gulag for High Treason and
performance of his works were virtually banned.  It seems that I was wrong.

As an aside, I also came to find out that Prokofiev died without much of
a funeral and no ceremony, because he died on the same day as Stalin.
Interesting.

Daryl Loomis