From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:38:22 +0100
Nadine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>May I remind you, that perhaps only 50 years ago, it was practically
>impossible for women to do as they wanted, professionally or privately.

I'm afraid this is way off-target.  We were, I thought, talking about the
arts? In which case women have been totally free, for a very much longer
time than that, in theatre, poetry, writing, painting, musical performance,
composition ....  (My wife indulges in this kind of hyperbole and here it
advances the cause not a jot).

Over 50 years ago women were flying planes, working in medicine schools,
mines and munitions factories and were active in ploitics and running
orchestras.  If Nadine had said 150 years ago it would still be wrong -
in the arts, that is.

John G. Deacon
Home page: www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon