From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 20:10:41 PDT
Donald Scarinci wrote:

>What is the consensus (and I use that word loosely) on the Four
>Symphonies conducted by Mackerras with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra on
>the Telarc label that came out last year? It seems to have gotten good
>reviews.

It got some outstanding reviews and nothing less than worthy ones.  I've
thought of the traditional Brahms symphony performance as rather bloated
and a slight turn-off.  I very much appreciate that Mackerras, Harnoncourt,
and Norrington have eliminated much of the heavy veneer usually associated
with these works.  Of course, how well the process of this elimination
works depends on what you do with that which remains.  Mackerras does very
well - crisp instrumental playing and the heart of the works remains
intact.  Norrington was not as successful; I have yet to reach conclusions
on Harnoncourt.

Don Satz