From:
Julian Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:55:56 -0000
Thank you to Steve Schwartz for his reply below concerning Palestrina and
Das Buch....

>I'm not wild about it, but then I have problems with late 19th-century
>post-Wagnerian music.  It seems like just so much noodling around at the
>keyboard.  Never seen the opera live.
>
>>I think the Franz Schmidt is altogether superior with overwhelming
>>choruses.  It is a setting of the Revelation of St John the Divine.
>
>I've reviewed the Schmidt at the following URL:
>
>http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/e/emi56660a.html
>
>Steve Schwartz

Julian says:

I really enjoyed reading your Schmidt review - I saw it at the Proms two or
three years ago. I find it very original  and powerful.

The Palestrina may take more time

Best wishes

Julian E. R. Allen

South London