From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 18:28:07 -0500
Richard Pennycuick writes concerning CD collection organization:

>I suggested alphabetical by composer, with CDs containing works by
>multiple composers placed according to either whim or logic; I also
>keep a database of my CDs on my computer.  Don, as we've heard
>occasionally, uses the I-know-it's-here-somewhere method, which would
>drive me to distraction.

Actually, I've make a semi-breakthrough.  Since I listen to Bach so much
and need to get my hands on different versions of the same work for review
purposes, I have for more than six months kept all my Bach recordings in
one particular location.  However, I have no intention of doing that with
any other composers, because I still enjoy the surprise of opening a drawer
or shelf and knowing that, except for Bach, anything could be in there.  I
do have a closet which has my "unlikely to want" discs, but I often find
some good stuff in there as well.

Don Satz