From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:17:25 -0500
Jan Templiner wrote:

>Having enjoyed the BIS CD of piano/cello music by Roland Pontinen
>and Torleif Thedeen, I noticed something tha tbugged my quite a bit:
>Pontinen seems to bake a sport of having the right hand a bit later
>than the left hand.  This is especially bad in the Chopin sonata's
>slow movement.  Almost every chord on the beat is out-of-coordination.
>Is that some kind of artistical gimmick? A new edition of the sonata?
>My ears?

Jan, I haven't heard the recording, but I can say that it is sometimes
appropriate for the left hand to be a little out of synch with the right
hand in Chopin's music, and in a lot of Romantic piano music.  In good
hands, this device can be very effective.  It allows the melody to sing
on it's own, independently of the base line.

Mike