From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 15:34:33 -0500
Deryk Barker et al. ask me

>>>The dial tone in Steely Dan's "Rikki
>>>Don't Lose That Number" is {music}.
>>
>>I don't remember hearing that dial tone, but it's been a while (great song,
>>anyway).
>
>Nor do I - and my band is considering covering this, so I've listened to
>it quite a bit recently.  Where axactly are you hearing it Steve?

Well, I dug out my Steely Dan "Pretzel Logic" LP.  Damned if there are
absolutely no dialing tones in that song.  And yet I have this very vivid
memory of hearing the song on Top 40 radio (in Ann Arbor, Michigan) while
driving and what catching my attention being those dial tones.  Getting old
sucks.

Dave suggests Todd Rundgren's "Hello, It's Me," which I've never heard.
The song would have been circa 1972-73, when I returned to the States after
a year in Germany.  Anyway, I'll give another example: Roger McGuinn's
"Talkin' on the Car Phone" from the album Back from Rio.

Steve Schwartz

 [The Rundgren song would have been about that time.  There's also use of
 dial tone and other telephone sounds in Pink Floyd's "The Wall" ("nobody
 Home" perhaps).  In any case, the point is made.  -Dave]