From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:42:51 +0100
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>:

>I actually do find Mendelssohn's music often attractive.  If we are
>going to award the accolade "child genius" then he's the man who should
>get it.

Agreed.

>But there is massive evidence of influence in a lot of his music
>particularly the string symphonies.  The influence is largely Haydn and
>Beethoven but one finds Mozart there as well.

A klotje of Beethoven & C/O yes, but I feel more Muzio Clementi in the
string symphonies.  But from the "Mittsommernachtstraumouverture" his style
is highly original, and some works even before that (particulary that
"Swiss" 9th String symphony).  But more influences were to come.  The old
guys,Palestrina, Orlando di Lassus, and later on, yes J.S.Bach!  He was
really a child genious!

Mats Norrman