From:
Tom Molloy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 05:37:09 -0600
Roy Ellefsen wrote:

>Kosman's article reminded me that I have been wanting to get a recording of
>this famous Elgar piece, which, incidentally, I have never heard performed,
>for some time now.  Can someone out there recommend a good recording.
>Price matters, but is not to the exclusion of quality.

You mentioned all the recordings but one, and that one, for me, is
the finest ever.  It is the 1984 recording for EMI conducted by Sir
Simon Rattle, with John Mitchinson, Janet Baker and John Shirley-Quirk.
Unfortunately, EMI---letters which one wag suggested should stand for
"Every Mistake Imaginable"--- has discontinued the recording at the present
time; however, I think it is well worth seeking out.  It offers, I feel,
the best combination of soloists, chorus, orchestra, conductor and
recording (made in the Gret Hall at the University of Birmingham).

Tom Molloy, Violist
Musicians of the Houston Symphony