From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:54:25 -0800
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Harnoncourt has record Bruckner's 3rd, 4th, and 7th symphonies.  Reviews
>of this combination have been very mixed as I would have expected with
>"traditionalists" having disdain for Harnoncourt's interpretations.
>
>Although I don't have the above recordings, I'm thinking about it.
>Any encouragement?

Mention Bruckner and three conductors come to mind immediately.  Von
Karajan (whose is the standard in this, his most expressive self) on
DG with the Berlin Philharmonic (and definitely No.8, his superlative
recording with the Vienna); Tintner and the Scottish Royal National
Orchestra on Naxos; and some of Bruno Walter (Nos.  4, 7, and 9th in
particular).

With few exceptions (Sibelius being one of them), I limit my collections
to no more than three sets.  The Harnoncourt captured my interest initially
as an alternative to von Karajan, but in the final analysis, even the less
than full set of his performances had to go.  He just doesn't sound like
the full bloom of Bruckner.

If nothing else, Bruckner is the most capacious composer in an attempt
to overwhelm the listener.  Anyone who tries to do less than a capacious
recording will sound thin and anything but Bruckner.  Ergo, von Karajan is
in his realm, and Tintner is equally compelling.  Betwixt the two, one can
truly enjoy the magnificence and majesty of the compositions.  Harnoncourt
didn't even come close as an alternative.

Stephen Heersink
San Francisco