From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 12:34:26 -0500
I've gotten some new CDs from BMG pursuant to one of their sales and have
played three of them so far.

The first is Francois Couperin's Lecons de Tenebres and four verses,
sung by Sophie Daneman and Patricia Petibon w/ William Christie Les Arts
Florisants.  With "Quatre Verses"as a filler, it's still only 47'26"
playing time, but for US$2.99 plus S&H, who can complain?  I thought it
was wonderful music endearingly performed.  I first heard a recording of
this music while in college about 50 years ago and many years later, as a
gesture to nostalgia bought the LP w/ Alfred Deller.  Nostalgia was all I
derived from that LP.  Now, I was hearing this music with enjoyment.

For the same price as the Couperin, I also got Handel's Sonatas for Two
Violins and Continuo, Op. 5, played by London Baroque (Ingrid Seifert and
Richard Gwilt playing Stainer violins, Charles Medlam playing a Finocchi
cello, and Richard Egarr playing a modern harpsichord modeled upon an
Italian Gegorius).  Listening to these sonatas for the first time took me
back to when I was hearing Handel's Opus 6, Concerti Grossi for the first
time (played by the Boyd Neel string orchestra), waiting for the successive
London 10" LPs (each containing two of them, one on each side) to become
available.  As each of those was worth the wait, this, an unawaited
surprise, was a total delight.

A third CD among the seven that I received was Steve Reich's "Bang on a
Can" of which the less said (by me at least) the better.

Walter Meyer