From:
Gene Halaburt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 05:42:02 -0600
Roger wrote:

>>>Who's Hurlstone?  A name new to me, unless it's some horribly obvious
>>>pun on Purcell or Tippett or someone which I'm being too dim to spot.
>>
>>William Hurlstone (1876-1906), born and died in London.  Premiered
>>his piano concerto but his asthma prevented a career as a pianist.
>>Became professor of counterpoint at RCM.  There was a Lyrita CD of
>>some orchestral music and, IIRC, an LP containing his piano concerto.
>
>I had that Lyrita CD for a while (was it orchestral music?  I thought
>it was chamber music) but didn't care much for it and eventually sold
>it.  I remember almost nothing about it.  For a while, when it was hard
>to get Lyrita LPs, that Hurlstone disc seemed to be readily available
>at Berkshire and other places.

There were (at least) two Lyritas, one orchestral, the other chamber
music: SRCS 100, his Piano Concerto with Eric Partin, pno. and Fantasy
Variations on a Swedish Air, both with the LPO under Nicholas Braithwaite,
and SRCS 117, his Quartet in E-minor, Op. 43 and Trio in G for Violin,
Cello and Piano, performed by the Tunnell Piano Quartet.  I have both.

Gene