From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:35:03 -0700
Peter Herwitz wrote:

>Can anyone reccomend a stellar performance of Elgar's Enigma Variations?
>I am more a chamber music, piano, and lieder afficionado but I heard
>these Variations recently and was completely enthralled.  Thanks in
>advance.

Barbirolli made two great ones: a lively singing performance from the
1940s on Dutton, a superbly romantic one in stereo from the 1960s on
EMI, and one I like less on Mercury from the 1950s.  That last one is
more vigorous than the later recording, but not as well executed and at
times a bit awkward.

That said, I must say that many respected writers on this list and
elsewhere would reverse the Mercury and EMI.  In fact, I may be in the
minority on this.

That is the tip of a large iceberg.  There are plenty of other good
readings, including off the top of my head, the last Boult on EMI, Mata
(believe it or not), Andrew Davis (the one on Teldec), Previn, Downes,
Mehta, and a rather quirky but interesting Mackerras, to name a few.
Some I expected to like but did not that much for one reason or another
include Monteux (considered by some to be a classic, but I never warmed
up to it--too bright and French, and the recording seems overrated),
Colin Davis, Rattle, and Litton.

As is often the case with a great work that has been recorded dozens of
time, you will find much wotthy disagreement with these observations.

Roger Hecht