From:
Jim Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 01:02:52 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I have a theory that musicians (those who fit this generalisation, at any
>rate), have an ability to listen "through" the reproduced sound to some
>kind of core that is buried inside the hisses and clicks and various kinds
>of distortions. They listen, one might say, to the music and not to the
>sound, and can easily filter out the distractions of poor quality
>reproduction. ...

I'm an amatuer musician . . . I've always thought of that ability as
"imagination."  Most of my recordings are newer, high-quality sound.  I
think it only takes a little effort and patience to get inside a really
great historic recording.  The music will always speak through the medium
if the listener is willing to be attentive.

So much for my two cents' worth.

Jim Saunders
Portland, OR USA