From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:57:04 -0700
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I've already stated my opinion that Gardiner's is the best Bach Mass on
>record.  What Deryk wrote did get me to thinking of the degree of difference
>in opinions of performances of sacred choral works based on the degree of
>religious feeling of the listener.

Ironically, the B-minor Mass is my favorite composition, while Gardiner's
performance of it leaves me lifeless.  I don't know if its the size of
the players, the recording environment, or the style Gardiner elicits, but
the orchestra sounds puny to the soloists and chorus.  At key points, there
is a lack of the "dramatic," such as when the Credo's "et incarnatus est"
is so matter of fact, rather than hushed, but strong-throatedly asserted.
Similar problems occur with the passion and resurrection phrases.  It
sounds like someone doesn't understand the liturgical significance of
the words their singing or the notes they're playing.  A really good
performance (e.g., Karajan, Jochum) seems to sense the drama better,
imbuing the words with musical significance that Bach clearly understood
and intended.

Stephen Heersink
San Francisco