From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:35:40 -0400
Peter Varley wrote, amidst many interesting recommendations:

>Sibelius is my favourite composer, so most composers influenced by Sibelius
>appeal to me.  LILBURN's first and second symphonies and TUBIN's fourth are
>in that category (Tubin's other symphonic music is well worth hearing too).

Oh yes.  Sibelius is also a huge favourite of mine, but I love Lilburn's
Third, much less Sibelian than its predecessors.  Incidentally,

>MADETOJA is rather uneven, but excellent at his best.  I strongly
>recommend the second symphony, and the first, although less consistent,
>would probably appeal to admirers of Hanson.

...I also find Madetoja's Third much underrated, superbly moving, not
only in its lyrical slow movement but also in the luminous and melancholy
scherzo.  Right now I could almost see a spiritual affinity with Vaughan
Williams's Pastoral Symphony and its deeply painful radiancy.

But my point was to address this:

>The Mlynarski symphony is let down a bit by the finale, which gets
>bombastic in places, but not to the extent that KALINNIKOV's first
>symphony is.

Mlynarski's 2nd violin concerto has been recorded by Konstanty Andrzej
Kulka.  If the symphony (named Polonia, just like Paderewski's, completed
one year earlier and notably different) may be a bit heavy at times,
although it has an almost hypnotic slow movement, the violin concerto
is absolutely exquisite.  Unassuming, for sure, but delicately wrought,
full of memorable tunes.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le